Protect Yourself from a Low Home Appraisal
The final dollar amount that is associated with your home appraisal is an essential component to the home buying and selling process. Most importantly, you never want to end up with an appraisal amount that is too low — this creates some serious issues with your budget.
Let’s take a look at some things you can do to help protect yourself from receiving a low appraisal figure.
- Always get an appraisal BEFORE you list your home. This step may not help protect you from a low home appraisal, but it’s still very important to know. You don’t want to take any chances late in the game. Get your home appraised early on so that you know exactly what kind of numbers you will be working with during the selling process. If you get a low appraisal, you have time to figure out what factors may have led to the low evaluation.
- Always use a certified appraiser. As confirmation, you should always verify the appraiser’s residential appraiser certificate. In the case of the appraisers listed on the Repairman app, you can be assured that all appraisers are certified and verified to perform home appraisals in the Denver, Colorado area.
- Use a local appraiser. It always helps to use an appraiser who is familiar with the local area. The neighborhood that you live in can often influence the number. Declining housing markets with limited home sales can make it tough on appraisers to come up with an accurate value of your property. An appraiser who is familiar with your local area will be more informed and much more accurate with this step of the process.
- Have a conversation with your appraiser. If you have information about recent sales, short sales and foreclosures in the area, don’t hesitate to share that knowledge. Again, surrounding real estate transactions factor into your appraisal.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. This should especially be your approach if the appraisal ended up more so on the low end than what you were expecting. Ask questions and provide additional information that may have gone unnoticed. It’s not out of the question that your newly-provided information could help raise your final appraisal number.
For those of you here in the Denver area, the Repairman app is the easiest way for you to connect with the most reliable certified home appraisers in your area.
Download the FREE Repairman app from your favorite Apple App Store, or Google Play Store or directly from the Repairman App website to connect with verified plumbers, electricians, roofing experts, window experts, HVAC professionals and more based right here in the Denver, Colorado area. And don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter to receive all of the latest news and updates about our home improvement app. For more information on the Repairman app, along with plenty of home improvement ideas, check out the rest of our blog.
So what are you waiting for? Download the FREE Repairman app from your favorite app store today and connect with professional service Providers near you!
(Available for iOS and Android)